ID :
35895
Tue, 12/16/2008 - 15:15
Auther :
Shortlink :
http://m.oananews.org//node/35895
The shortlink copeid
N. Korea condemns Japan as 'irresponsible' on fuel aid By Shim Sun-ah
SEOUL, Dec. 16 (Yonhap) -- North Korea condemned Japan on Tuesday for "irresponsibly" failing to provide energy aid it promised under a nuclear deal.
The North was promised 1 million tons of heavy fuel oil or their equivalent in
return for disabling its main nuclear complex and providing a list of its nuclear
programs under a six-party agreement signed in October last year.
Just over half of the promised aid has been delivered so far. Japan refuses to
pay its share of the cost unless Pyongyang fully addresses concerns about
Japanese nationals kidnapped by North Korean agents in the 1970s and 80s.
Australia and New Zealand have been approached to make up for the shortfall of
about 200,000 tons of fuel oil. Japan has reportedly said it does not oppose the
countries' participation in energy provision.
"The Oct. 3 agreement stipulates that the five negotiating parties, including
Japan, must provide economic reward such as energy provision... but only Japan is
refusing to implement its duty in violation of the agreement," Rodong Sinmun said
in a commentary carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.
The daily accused Japan of trying to pass the buck to third countries and claimed
the "malicious slanderer" is destined to lose its place in the six-party
negotiations.
Four days of six-party talks earlier this month in Beijing ended without an
agreement on detailed plans to verify North Korea's past nuclear activities. No
schedule was set for completing energy aid and disablement.
North Korea has admitted that its agents kidnapped 13 Japanese citizens in the
past. Pyongyang allowed five of them to return to Japan but claims the others are
dead. Tokyo accuses the North of other abductions, mainly for the purpose of
training spies to pose as Japanese nationals by teaching them Japanese language
and customs.
sshim@yna.co.kr
The North was promised 1 million tons of heavy fuel oil or their equivalent in
return for disabling its main nuclear complex and providing a list of its nuclear
programs under a six-party agreement signed in October last year.
Just over half of the promised aid has been delivered so far. Japan refuses to
pay its share of the cost unless Pyongyang fully addresses concerns about
Japanese nationals kidnapped by North Korean agents in the 1970s and 80s.
Australia and New Zealand have been approached to make up for the shortfall of
about 200,000 tons of fuel oil. Japan has reportedly said it does not oppose the
countries' participation in energy provision.
"The Oct. 3 agreement stipulates that the five negotiating parties, including
Japan, must provide economic reward such as energy provision... but only Japan is
refusing to implement its duty in violation of the agreement," Rodong Sinmun said
in a commentary carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.
The daily accused Japan of trying to pass the buck to third countries and claimed
the "malicious slanderer" is destined to lose its place in the six-party
negotiations.
Four days of six-party talks earlier this month in Beijing ended without an
agreement on detailed plans to verify North Korea's past nuclear activities. No
schedule was set for completing energy aid and disablement.
North Korea has admitted that its agents kidnapped 13 Japanese citizens in the
past. Pyongyang allowed five of them to return to Japan but claims the others are
dead. Tokyo accuses the North of other abductions, mainly for the purpose of
training spies to pose as Japanese nationals by teaching them Japanese language
and customs.
sshim@yna.co.kr