ID :
139074
Tue, 08/24/2010 - 19:45
Auther :

Russia to help Tajikistan catch escaped prisoners - FSB.



23/8 Tass 225

MOSCOW, August 23 (Itar-Tass) - Russian secret services, at the
instruction of President Dmitry Medvedev, will provide assistance to
Tajikistan in apprehending the escaped prisoners, director of the Federal
Security Service (FSB) Alexander Bortnikov said on Monday.
"At the Russian president's instruction, Russian secret services will
provide comprehensive assistance to Tajikistan in finding and detaining
the escaped prisoners," the FSB director stated.
Bortnikov is chairman of the Council of law-enforcement bodies and
secret services of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Last night, 25 people escaped from a remand ward of Tajikistan's State
National Security Committee (GKNB). The inmates had been sentenced to long
prison terms for crimes against the state.
Among the fugitives are four Afghans and six Russian citizens. The
others are citizens of Tajikistan.
According to first deputy chairman of Tajikistan's State National
Security Committee Kasim Gafarov, three inmates, including a Russian
citizen, masterminded the prison break. The Russian suspect is a native of
Dagestan, aged 37. He was identified as Magomed Akhmedov.
Police units are looking for the criminals.
Initial reports said the fugitives seized firearms, and killed several
guards before making the prison break.
Tajik President Emomali Rakhmon ordered that the republic's
law-enforcement bodies "take urgent measures" to apprehend the group of
the escaped inmates.
The Tajik leader issued this order at a government conference, the
press service of the head of state reported.
Tajikistan's State National Security Committee said in a statement
that "taking advantage of the guards' negligence, a group of inmates
numbering 25, escaped from the remand ward. In the course of the shootout,
six interior troops servicemen were killed with the weapons sized by the
criminals."
The escapees then changed into military uniforms, commandeered a
vehicle and fled Dushanbe.
Police have been unable to catch the fugitives immediately after the
prison break. Law-enforcement officers said they might have headed for the
east of the country. A search operation is underway in the region. Special
task force police are taking part in the operation, and border units have
been reinforced.
All the escapees were members of an anti-government group led by
former Minister of Emergency Situations Mirzo Ziyeyev.
During the Civil War in Tajikistan he led units of armed Islamic
opposition. Three years ago, he was fired.
After his dismissal, the ex minister returned to the Tavildarinsky
district in the Pamir region, where he set up an anti-government group.
Last summer, it was defeated by government troops in a two-month
operation. Several dozen militants were killed, and more than 40 were
arrested. Among the detainees were six Russian citizens, all natives of
the North Caucasus.
Last Friday, Tajikistan's Supreme Court had a visiting session at the
remand ward, and sentenced the defendants to long prison terms and life
imprisonment. Five Russian citizens were sentenced to 19 to 30 years in
jail.
According to Russian Ambassador in Tajikistan Yuri Popov, the Embassy
was informed about the arrest of the Russian citizens and the charges
brought against them.
"Russia's reaction will follow after the scrutiny of the materials of
the verdict," Popov said.
The Russian envoy confirmed to Tass that Russian citizens were among
the escapees, but refused to comment.
Source at Tajikistan's Prosecutor General's Office told Tass a
criminal case had been opened over the prison break.
The operation to catch the criminals continues. Police are checking
the reports that this group might have shelled a police checkpoint in the
Faizabadsky district, some 80 kilometers east of Dushanbe.
-0-myz


Delete & Prev | Delete & Next

X